Museum of International Folk Art
Santa Fe's Favorite Museum
One of New Mexico’s most popular museums opened to the public in 1953 and has gained national and international recognition as home to the world’s largest collection of folk art. The extraordinary collection of some 150,000 artifacts from more than 150 nations forms the basis for exhibitions in four distinct wings — Bartlett, Girard, Hispanic Heritage, and Neutrogena.
Home to Alexander Girard’s international folk art collection and his innovative exhibition — Multiple Visions: A Common Bond — the exhibit displays 10 percent of Girard collection without label text (pick up a free multimedia tour on an iPod touch at the front desk), and docent tours are also available. Changing exhibitions feature ingallery art-making activities for all ages to enjoy together, as well as the Tree of Life Children’s Play Area, with toys, books, and a neighboring library of folk art books for parents and care givers.
Annual public programs include Arts Alive, Day of the Dead, Winter Celebration, and the Santa Fe International Folk Art Market.
Now on exhibit at the Museum of International Folk Art
New Mexico CulturePass
Your ticket to 15 exceptional Museums and Historic Sites. From Indian treasures to space exploration, world-class folk art to awesome dinosaurs—our museums and monuments celebrate the essence of New Mexico every day.
More Info »
Featured DCA Exhibitions
Focusing on the rise of the Fred Harvey Company as a family business and events that transpired specifically in the Land of Enchantment, the exhibition will leave visitors with an understanding of how the Harvey experience resonates in our Southwest today.
The Naturalist Center is a hands-on educational exhibition where visitors of all ages can learn about the natural world of New Mexico.
During 2007 and 2008, flying at alarmingly low altitudes and slow speeds,photographer Adriel Heisey leaned out the door of his light plane, and holding his camera with both hands, re-photographed some of the Southwest’s most significant archaeological sites that Charles Lindbergh and his new bride Anne photographed in 1929.