New Mexico Museum of Art
100th Birthday Celebration
On November 25, 2017, commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the New Mexico Museum of Art at a free, all-ages, day-long birthday event from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Museum, 107 W. Palace, on the surrounding streets, as well as on the historic Santa Fe Plaza.
Costumed interpreters dressed as artists from the past will roam the galleries, talking about artwork on view. Characters include Georgia O’Keeffe, Laura Gilpin, Will Shuster, and a few surprise guests.
First 100 visitors who come in 1917–1920s costume win a prize.
- 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. — enjoy our photo booth with costumes and props in Museum lobby
- 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. — Naughty or nice? Santa arrives in a red Lowrider Sleigh to hear your holiday wishes.
- 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. — Visit our mobile museum Wonder on Wheels featuring New Mexico dinosaurs, the Axle Contemporary mobile art gallery, and view our vintage and lowrider vehicle display
- 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. — Visitors can participate in constructing an artrageous birthday hat or decorating 100-year-old eye glasses
- 11:00 a.m. — Shiners Club Band performs a tableau vivant and twentieth-century jazz
Theatrical and dance performances on the stage of St. Francis Auditorium:
- 11:00 a.m. — New Mexico School of The Arts
- Noon — Pueblo of Pojoaque Youth Hoop Dancers
- 1:00 p.m. — National Institute of Flamenco’s Ninos Flamencos
Meet the Museum curators for a brief introduction to each exhibition:
- 11:30 a.m. — Horizons: People & Place in 20th Century New Mexican Art by Christian Waguespack, curator of Twentieth-Century Art
- 12:30 p.m. — Contact: Local to Global by Merry Scully, head of curatorial and curator of Contemporary Art
- 1:30 p.m. — Shifting Light: Perspectives in Photography by Katherine Ware, curator of photography
- 2:00 p.m.–3:30 p.m. — Mariachi Sonidos del Monte
- At 3:00 p.m., local dignitaries will give tribute to the Museum of Art and wish us a Happy 100th Birthday
World famous opera singer Jorge Espinos sings Happy Birthday, courtesy of the Santa Fe Opera.
Cake will be served outside of the Museum beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Free parking available at the PERA parking lot at Old Santa Fe Trail and Paseo de Peralta with a free shuttle to the Museum every 15 minutes from 10:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
New Mexico CulturePass
Your ticket to New Mexico's exceptional Museums and Historic Sites.
From Indian treasures to space exploration, world-class folk art to awesome dinosaurs—our museums and monuments celebrate the essence of New Mexico every day.
More Info »
Featured DCA Exhibitions
The Atomic Histories exhibit explores the most famous events, sometimes little known stories, and inventions born here
The first artwork ever to be displayed at the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum belonged to Robert
Will Rogers noted that Fred Harvey “kept the West in food—and wives.” But the company’s Harvey