Executive Director – National Hispanic Cultural Center
The National Hispanic Cultural Center is seeking an exceptional individual to fill the position of Executive Director. The NHCC is dedicated to the preservation, promotion, and advancement of Hispanic culture, arts, and humanities. It is located in Albuquerque's historic and culturally vibrant Barelas neighborhood and consists of a history and literary arts program (including a library and genealogy center), a performing arts program, and a visual arts program (including a museum). The NHCC is a Division of the State of New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs and is supported by by the National Hispanic Cultural Center Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization. See http://www.nhccnm.org.
Position Summary: This is a full-time, exempt position. The Executive Director reports to the Secretary of Cultural Affairs and to the Center’s Board of Directors. This position requires seasoned administrator and talented personnel manager, with a track record of successful leadership of a multidisciplinary organization, a professional staff, and a large facility. The Executive Director supervises a dedicated staff of up to thirty (30). EEO/AA. Competitive salary and generous benefits package.
- Raise the profile of the NHCC locally, nationally and internationally
- Advocate for funding of the center’s programs and assist the NHCC Foundation with fundraising initiatives
- Propose and advocate for the center’s operating budget and capital improvements which are funded by the New Mexico State legislature
- Work with program directors (4) to create, develop and implement programs consistent with the center’s mission.
- Manage a staff that works in the areas of administration, history and literary arts, performing arts, and visual arts.
- Work effectively with the NHCC Board of Trustees and the NHCC Foundation Board of Directors.
- Cooperate and collaborate with educational institutions, other agencies, and divisions of state, tribal and federal governments to develop the programs of the Center.
- Other duties as delegated
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a discipline related to the management and operation of a large cultural institution
- Passion for and in-depth knowledge of the Hispanic/Latino Arts, culture, and community
- Management experience
- Experience with a cultural institution
- Substantial experience and skill in personnel management and team-building
- Substantial experience in budgetary oversight and administration
- Experience with managing a staff of 30 or more employees
- Exceptional interpersonal and public relation skills
- Substantial experience and skill with fundraising
- Experience and skill with legislative advocacy
- In-depth knowledge of New Mexico history, Hispanic/Latino culture, and the Hispanic/Latino arts world
- Substantial experience with strategic planning
- Ability to speak, read, and write Spanish fluently for a frequent interaction with the Spanish speaking world
Open until filled. Application review will begin on 9/30/19.
For best consideration, A COVER LETTER ADDRESSING THE MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS and a resume with three references should be postmarked and sent to:
NHCC Executive Director Search
Department of Cultural Affairs
407 Galisteo Street, Suite 260, Santa Fe, NM 87501
ATTN: Office of the Secretary